Printing method: recess print from flat plates in black combined with multicoloured offset
A transposition of kneeling Ernest of Pardubice, the first Archbishop of Prague, from his gradual and the first picture of the cathedral from Schedel’s World Chronicle (Nuremberg 1494). The miniature sheet displays a stylised picture of today’s cathedral with invocating angels designed according to the painting of so-called Kłodzko Madonna. The painting was donated by Ernest to the Augustinian monastery established by him in his birth town.
St. Vitus, St. Wenceslas and St. Adalbert Cathedral is the dominant structure of Prague Castle. It is a three-nave Gothic cathedral with three residential towers and the church of the Archbishop of Prague. The present building was built in several stages, in the years 1344–1419, 1490–1510, 1556–1593, and 1873–1929 (its western part). In the years 1060–1920 it was dedicated to three major Czech saints: St. Vitus, St. Wenceslas and St. Adalbert. Until 1997, the name of St. Vitus Cathedral was used; that is why the abbreviated name became well-established and the cathedral is known by it even in the present time, even though in 1997, the former Archbishop of Prague, Cardinal Miloslav Vlk, restored the original full name.
On 21 November 1344, Charles IV, then the Prince and Margrave of Moravia, with his longtime friend Arnošt of Pardubice, his father John of Luxembourg and his brother John Henry, laid the founding stone of St. Vitus on the occasion of the promotion of the Prague bishopric to archbishopric. The main architect was Matthias of Arras. The construction started with the east presbytery, in order to be able to serve mass as soon as possible. In the chancel in the shape of a horseshoe, eight chapels were erected with the same plan which corresponds to a trapezoid box gallery. Finally, the choir was built with triforium arcades. The eastern part of the long chancel was built with one chapel on the northern side and two on the southern side. The construction of the southern side began with the perimeter walls of the Chapel of the Holy Cross, which was initially housed separately from the unfinished part of the cathedral. On the north a sacristy begins. A year after the death of Matthias of Arras, Petr Parléř, born of significant architectural lineage, took over the management of construction in 1356. In the cathedral of St.Vitus, an unusual network ribbed vault, later known as the Parleresque type, was used, which is actually a barrel vault with cutouts for windows with beautiful embellishments, at that time still supporting ribs.
St. Vitus is a three-nave cathedral with a transversal nave, triforium and a ring of chapels. The most important of them is the St. Wenceslas Chapel built over his grave. Through this almost cubic room Parléř vaulted a star-pattern vault, unique at the time, the support of which, compared to traditional vaults, was shifted from the corner of the room to the third walls. St. Wenceslas Chapel was consecrated in 1367 and adorned in 1373